Thursday, February 24, 2011

Need Help Finding a Book for DS

So Mr. Independent is 6 1/2 and really wanting to read chapter books. Unlike my daughter, he  attends public school, and unfortunately with that comes influences from others his age. Right now the "it" book is A Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I have not fully read this book, but what snippets I have read, and what I have heard about it, I don't like. From what I understand, it is full of name calling and bulling. While I am very happy at his eagerness to read, I don't think this is appropriate for his age. The language in this book is not even allowed at our house. It's not adult language, but I don't want my kids going around saying "idiot" or "stupid". My children still gasp and cover their mouth when "shut-up" is heard. So I am trying to find some fun alternative to this book. He wants something funny but not "babyish".

So what are your thoughts on A Diary of a Wimpy Kid?

And any suggestions on books would be greatly appreciated!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My 6 1/2 yr. old and I were reading the "How to Train your Dragon" series and it was the same way. Of course I was reading to him. But, I would always make sure that he knew mommy didn't think it was very good language or behavior. Which is hard to do without taking away from the story. Don't know of one that's not so inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete